Monday, September 30, 2013

"Because His heart is for the Lost."



This is why I do what I do. I’m currently working as a missionary, training in Australia and focusing on reaching people in Southeast Asia. It’s something I have been thinking about a lot lately… this particular calling on my life to go and share the gospel to all the earth. 

I just arrived back in Perth from a 3 month outreach to 2 nations in Southeast Asia, and a few country towns in the outback up north Australia. If you asked me 3 months ago, what I was expecting would happen during this outreach, I would have never guessed what I am about to share with you.
God is so much more committed to reaching people than I realize most of the time. We started out in one nation (that I cannot mention on this blog) where God led us to do a lot of prayer and worship, welcoming Him into the city. As we really asked the Lord to lead us in ministry, we felt to do a lot of evangelism, which is a big word for going out into public areas and telling people about Jesus. Because this nation is closed, we were not legally allowed to do this, but of course, we were not going to let that hold us back.. for goodness sake, there’s so many people that have never heard the good news!!  So my team (Ali, Faith, Pete – from Australia, Sandra – from Papua New Guinea, Venny – from Indonesia, Nathalie – from France, and Daniel and myself from the United States) would spend lots of time at the public parks, where lots of young people will come to hang out. We barely needed to make eye contact before the teenagers would flock around us because we were foreigners, and ask us questions like “What’s your name? Where are you from? Why are you here? Do you like it here?”….Etc. Most of them just wanted to use us to practice their English. It didn’t take long for us to start getting asked about our beliefs or make a connection in the conversation to tell them about Jesus. Most had little if no knowledge about Jesus. I was so shocked! We made it our goal to tell as many as we could about Jesus. One night I had 7 girls that were interested in hearing my story and as they huddled in close to listen, I did not hold back in telling them the gospel in a way they could comprehend. Some received and some didn’t, but God totally moved in our limited ability to communicate to the people. In our 3 weeks in this location, our team saw 5 salvations! Such a fruitful time! 

The second story I will share is one that I am most privileged to be a part of. In the second nation we stayed in, we felt like our strategy in reaching the people was going to be different than the first location, because it’s a different culture and way of life. Again we sought the Lord for direction and felt that he was giving us a heart for the Buddhist monks….



If you know anything about Buddhism, you would know that it’s highly anti-Jesus. It incorporates a lot of idol worship and religious ceremonies and sacrifices made to the statue (that would represent a god, for example Buddha, or another god within the religion….) Their goal is to get to Nirvana, which is this state of nothing. There’s a lot that plays into it, but it’s totally anti-Salvation and there’s a lot of dark things that take place within their practices. This is a picture of a monk who has been practicing this religion for 14 years. Only males are allowed to join the monastery, and they can start when they are kids if they want to. The government gives them a deal on their education if they join, so many of them are going into the monastery with this incentive. One day our team was praying and asking the Lord where to go and I had a picture in my mind of a temple, while Pete had a picture of a monk standing under these flag poles. I remembered that there are flag poles right across the street from the temple, so we immediately thought this was where God was wanting us to go. So we went in faith and when we got there, we met a monk whose name was Loun. He spoke great English and wanted to chat with us some more so we took the opportunity to hang out with him. He led us to the large doors of the temple where they practice their religious ceremonies. As he opened the door, there was this large 12 foot Budha statue at the other end of the room and I almost peed my pants when I saw it. Even being there, made me feel uncomfortable, but I  knew this was what God was saying for us to do. So we stayed there for a long time that afternoon just learning from him and his religion. After a while, Nathalie shared with him about Jesus. She did this in a very non-offensive way, so that he knew she wasn’t judging him or his beliefs. I could see his face get softer and more open the more she shared. That day we prayed for him and gave him a bible, as he said he would like to read it. We found out a few days later as we ran into him on the street that he had been telling some of the other monks the stories in the gospel that he was reading. I was so stoked when I heard this! A monk, sharing with his other monk friends stories about Jesus?! No way! We could tell something in his heart was changing as we kept meeting with him and by our last meeting, he had a lot of questions about how to follow God and what he has to do if he wanted to follow God. Nathalie shared with him about the Ten Commandments, and told him her own journey with following and obeying God’s word. They went on and continued to chat, and finally she asked him if he wanted to receive Jesus. He responded in these words (I kid you not) “I wanted to the first day you told me about him”. As a Buddhist monk, he was able to recognize that his life now needed to change if he gave his life to the Lord. He understood this, as he allowed Nathalie to lead him to salvation. All glory to God. I love this story for so many reasons. God isn’t looking for us to be really good talkers so that we can persuade people into following him…. Quite frankly, that’s not the approach that Jesus took. Jesus loved. And God told us to go love these monks, and in our obedience, he opened a door where we could build trust with them through sharing our own stories… and God would lead the rest. I also love this because it is such a clear testimony of how God sees a broken life and wants to do something about it. He cares more than I will ever know about people I would never give a second thought about. He wanted to take a risk on this guy and show him who he is…. And look what happened! Such a privilege. 


God did so much on this outreach. I think the big thing I took away from it is that God really wants us to know his heart for people…. And to see a bit more of the brokenness of the world so that we can know how to reach it. It’s not pretty, and many of the people I met on this trip are in really depressing situations, but because He is so much bigger, stronger and so committed to reaching them, he has called me and you to take on this task and do the possible so that he can do the impossible in hopes that they would be set free!
            
                                                      Sharing the gospel in SE Asia!

                                    Hanging out in the Aboriginal communities in Australia!
                                                  I'm really good at painting Spider Man!


What a rush. I’m so excited to share more of these stories with you. Hopefully I can do so in person =)
Just want to thank all of you who prayed, gave financially and really back my team and I up! You can take these stories for yourselves, because you invested into them!

No comments:

Post a Comment